A staycation is defined as a period of time in which an individual or family stays home, and participates in leisure activities that are located within driving distance, rather than traveling far away for a traditional vacation. They may take trips to local tourist sites, enjoy the natural local attractions, and participate in fun recreational activities — all while returning home to their own beds each night.
Staycations achieved popularity in the United States in 2007 – 2010, at the height of the American financial crisis. While the economy has already begun to bounce back and people are becoming more and more comfortable with spending money on big ticket items again, we personally think that the staycation trend is wonderful — and that it is also here to stay.
If you live in the Dallas area and you are considering a staycation for you and your family, then you are in luck! Fortunately for us, Dallas offers some of the best staycations around — and there are plenty of activities for you to choose from, regardless of your budget.
Let’s take a look at some of our favorite Dallas area and Texas staycation ideas:
- If your staycation isn’t limited by budget, you are sure to love The Joule. This is truly a must see for everyone in Dallas. Even if you choose not to stay a night or two in the swanky hotel, there are plenty of things to enjoy here. The hotel is a fantastic place for people watching, as the home away from home for celebrities and stars traveling through Dallas. The Joule offers plenty of luxurious amenities to enjoy, including an immaculate fitness center and gym, an upscale and trendy coffee shop, and luxury boutique shopping.
- Spa Castle. One of the best parts of a staycation is enjoying the relaxation that comes with being close to home. Spa Castle offers swim up bars and pools with relaxing jets, or be sure to enjoy a relaxing full body massage or scrub, sure to make you forget the sweltering Dallas heat.
- Dinosaur Valley State Park. You won’t find any camping better than what you’ll find at Dinosaur Valley State Park. This is a particularly enticing option for staycationers who are on a budget — campsites start at just $25 per night. There is so much to enjoy here in the park, from searching for dinosaur fossils and geocaches. There is something here for everyone in the family, but children, in particular, love it here.
- The Perot Museum of Science. Believe it or not, you can actually arrange for your very own sleepover at The Perot! This is sure to be a hit with your children, and is also a bargain — you can arrange to have your very own A Night At the Museum evening for just $30 a night! Be sure not to miss the real dinosaurs of Dallas!
- Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor. These attractions are perfect for those seeking a little bit of adventure and thrills. Both of these parks are are a great way to get the most out of your staycation budget, and are still located close to home! Even if you don’t have children, you are sure to get thrills here that still make you feel like a kid at heart. If it’s too hot to spend the day outside at Six Flags, head over to Hurricane Harbor to cool down on some of the water rides. You’re sure to have a great time here.
- First Monday Trade Days. This open air flea market is perfect for people who enjoy shopping or antiquing. You are sure to find plenty of one of a kind items here — and the perfect knick knacks to commemorate your Dallas staycation!
Living in Dallas Texas
If you are searching for Texas staycation ideas, we hope this list has given you a great start of places to consider. In addition to Texas staycation ideas, we are also your home for all things related to Dallas area homes for sale and Frisco TX homes for sale.
We are Dutch and Cheryl Wiemeyer, and we are a full service husband and wife real estate team. We pride ourselves on offering our clients the best real estate experience possible, and we would love the chance to earn your business. If you’re searching for a new home in the Dallas area, please feel free to give us a call. Browse through our current listings, and then call or connect with us online to get started in finding your dream home today!