What is one of the best parts of being on vacation (aside from sleeping in on a weekday!)? Touring around an area and discovering things you never knew about! With a Staycation, you have the chance to uncover incredible new places you previously hadn’t known of. Plus, you know that the money you are spending is staying in your community. So consider one or all of our 15 DFW staycation ideas.
- Town of Granbury – Spend a weekend in historic Downtown Granby, where it is said that “Texas History Lives”. With several wineries, a hometown cheese-maker and more than 40 restaurants, this a real food-lovers vacation spot.
- Camping at Possum Kingdom Lake – If you are looking to lose yourself in nature, head over to Possum Kingdom Lake, nestled in a stunning and rugged canyon. Pitch you tent overlooking the clear waters or bunk up in one of the available cabins.
- The Texas White House B&B –Rustic meets modern luxury at this upscale bed and breakfast. Located in the up and coming Medical District, you have culture at your fingertips while vacationing in one of Fort Worth’s best B&Bs.
- Fort Worth Museum of Science and History – Robots, dinos, planetariums – oh my! Get lost in the many exciting exhibits offered and have an arsenal of fun facts ready for your next trivia game!
- Keith & Margo’s Ultimate Mystery Dinner Adventure– Break out of your ordinary dinner plans and head to Keith & Margo’s Ultimate Mystery Dinner Adventure, where intrigue, murder, and investigation are on the menu. Meet new people and solve a crime all while enjoying dinner.
- Aces Wild Casino– If your idea of fun is being able to play cards all night with access to all of the latest games, why fly to Vegas? From Blackjack to Bingo, Aces Wild Casino has the games to provide you the fun you are looking for, all close to home.
- Astronaut Training Center– Have you dreamed of blasting off to the moon? With simulators modeled from Apollo missions, you too can feel the exhilaration!
- Dallas World Aquarium– Did you know that Texas has over 350 miles of coastline? Thousands of species call the Texas coastline home and the Dallas World Aquarium gives you a chance to marvel at them up close. This is a great place to flounder about all day, whether you are there to see the featured animals, like the Red-eared Slider Turtle or the Banggai Cardinalfish, this Staycation will have you awestruck all day.
- Lake Texoma – A fisherman’s paradise, this reservoir is home to an immense variety of fish, wildlife refuge, beautiful sandy beaches, and several resorts to reset your batteries for all of your adventures.
- Dallas Mavericks– Staycations aren’t limited to only summer! If you are looking for fall and winter ideas and are a sports fan that is normally too busy to make it to a basketball game, now is your chance. Book a hotel downtown and spend all day at the American Airlines Center and watch the game at night. Maybe even book a suite and make it a staycation for you and all of your friends.
- Park Lane Equestrian– If you always wanted to learn to ride a horse all you have to do is make an appointment with a trainer to start your adventure. Park Lane Equestrian has over 300 acres and all the facilities you could possible need. There are three covered arenas, two outdoor jumping/riding fields, and plenty of room to just ride around.
- Dallas Museum of Art– In the summer the museum has late night showings and events if your day is already packed full of things to do. However, no matter what time you can make it the museum provides many contemporary collections to view. Dallas Museum of Art is also a nice climate controlled staycation spot to avoid the heat.
- Azalea Plantation B&B – Relax in old southern charm right in town. Tucked within one acre of deep-rooted oak trees, you can melt into the weekend in stunning Victorian style.
- Dyno-Rock Climbing Center– Of the fantastic 15 DFW Staycation Ideas that will leave you hanging around for a while, the Dyno-Rock Climbing Center is well worth your time. There is over 16,000 square of climbing area with a myriad of difficulties so the entire family can conquer one of the 25 foot walls.
- Texas Motor Speedway– If you love cars, especially fast cars, then zip over to Texas Motor Speedway. With events always on deck, you can tailgate and spend the weekend when NASCAR rolls through or catch a dirt sprint car race in the evening. Either way, this is a world class racing facility and an ideal location to watch man battle metal at over 200 miles per hour.
There is plenty to keep you occupied right at home for the entire summer with our 15 DFW Staycation Ideas. So make a plan now to visit as many of these venues you can this summer.
Looking for information on buying a horse property? Check out our Ultimate Guide!